Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Parents + Hospital

Frankly, parents and hospital are not a good mix to the child of the parents. Yesterday, my mom was admitted to Gleneagles Intan for a surgery to remove lumps in her breast and also to do a biopsy on her cervix. What happened was when she went for her pap smear test and breast examination about 2 weeks ago with her group of friends. I feel so lucky for my mom because without someone within that group who suggested the examinations (I think it was Aunty Ah Mi), none of them would have bothered to go.
So, on that day itself, the doc said there were small lumps, less than 1cm, in her right breast. From the ultrasound and mammogram, the lumps were diagnosed as benign. Doc said it is all right if these lumps were not removed. But my sister and me thinks it is better for mom if they are gone. After all, benign lumps can turn into malignant. Then, later, her pap smear showed cells from her cervix looked like cells before they turn cancerous. So a biopsy needs to be done immediately to confirm the status.
I think it was very brave of my mom. My mom is a person who is afraid of pain. Yea, she gave birth to my sister naturally, which, well, was painful. At least she was still willing to go for surgery. I have a close aunt who refuses to go for body check-up because she is afraid of the results. Sigh ... even her daughters couldn't convince her to do otherwise. All I know was when I went to see my mom in the sterile area near the operating theatre, she was groggy from the anaesthesia and was clearly in pain because my sister who visited her before me said the nurse has given her painkillers. In that area, only 1 person can go at 1 time. Looking at her then with all these machines around her and knowing that she did not realised that I was there, I felt proud of her.
Today, before mom was discharged from hospital, nurse showed us the tissue samples taken from her cervix and the lumps from the breast. Frankly, the lumps looked larger than 1cm. Now, we have to wait another week before we know for sure if the breast's lumps and cervical cells are malignant or not. I pray, I pray and I pray that cancer does not come to my mom because I don't want her to go through the pain of chemotherapy.
*LET MY MOM BE SAFE AND HEALTHY*

No comments: